Tuesday 4 March 2014

Chapter Five

After having spent a few days and nights mulling over the weirdness of Tree Boy's, excuse me, Jason's apparent delusions, I woke up feeling oddly at ease with what he had said. I mean, I sem to have fallen down a rather weird rabbit hole. There's no way I was drugged, I realize that now. Too many days and too many meals eating the same food have gone by, so I came to understand that this was real. Like, REAL real. As in, this shit was actually happening.

I also knew that in my old life, people did not pop in and out of tree trunks, but I saw Jason do just that. So, if what I'd thought I'd seen was real, then Jason saying his room was that tree outside made a weird kind of sense. I have no idea how he gets from that tree to the other one somewhere else he says is his actual tree, whatever that is supposed to mean. Does he somehow next go into the blades of grass? Into a dandelion? Who the heck knows? The new reality I found myself in apparently has rules my old one didn't.

Yeah, my new reality. I don't know how, but I think I went to bed and woke up in some alternative universe or something. So, my Dad might be back home with the me from this one. My dad here might be dead as they claim, but if it's a different version of my dad, maybe he did different things, things that led him to hide that secret stuff in our old Christmas tree. Whatever that secret was is probably key to my getting back to my own world. No offence to the other me, but this place was too weird for my tastes. My old life might've sucked from the bullies and my Mom being dead, yada yada yada, but at least it was my life and I knew what was what. I also missed my Dad. He might not've been around much at home, but he was sorta there all around me in our house and I knew that if I needed him, he'd be there for me.

So, first thing to do is go along with Jason and hope he could help me play along so no one suspects I'm not me. The other me, that is. I don't know why, but I think if they found that out, it' d be really, really bad. The second thing I gotta do is go back to my house and check out that Christmas tree. I can't just ask Romney to drive me there. He has villain written all over him. Maybe Jason could tell me if there is a bus stop around here or something. Or I could avoid trees as much as possible and skip school to walk back home and look. I hadn't had to change schools seeing as it was the only one serving this area, so that was doable. Yeah, that was my best option. I could do that tomorrow, avoiding any trees in case Jason or any of the invisible staff were in them spying on me.

Now if only I could get the weird dreams to stop. I'd begun dreaming about foxes of all things. Not regular old foxes either. These were like ones out some Japanese cartoon or something. They had nine tails, sometimes walked upright and wore clothes. Kimonos and stuff like that. I have no idea why I'd dream something like that. Either this place was getting to me, or it was just some random dream my brain stupidly placed on a replay loop. I'm sure this didn't mean I was becoming the other me or getting secret dream messages. Besides, I'm sure if the other me was a five foot something fox with nine tails who stood upright and wore clothes, they'd have definitely noticed that I was not who they thought I was. Nah, stress was just getting to me is all and my brain is using images from some manga or anime or something I must have seen part of.

I finished dressing and went downstairs. Breakfast was on the table and Jason was already eating. Romney had already left. He first time that'd happened, I thought my clock was wrong and I was running late and had panicked. Turned out he just left for work earlier. Guy must be a workaholic. He always seemed to be going to meetings and stuff. Whatever. At least he wasn't around to bug me. Neither was the staff. I still hadn't seen anybody. It was rather creepy. It was as if the house was ran by ghosts or something. I almost expected to come down one morning and find out the stove was alive and when no one was looking, sprouted arms and stuff to cook the meals. Like the clock and stuff in Beauty and the Beast. I mean, who knew if that was possible here? Look at Tree Boy- Jason. I need to call him Jason. Tree Boy sounds on the rude side, given that I know his name.

He saw me enter, and looked up from his fruit salad. He broke into a smile that sent a warm fuzzy feeling through me. He liked me. I had one friend here at least. That felt good. If we'd been back home, and he was a normal guy and not a tree person thingy, I would have probably daydreamed about becoming his boyfriend. Though not accepting his treeness might make me rascist. I frowned at myself. Jason saw my frown and got the wrong idea. I quickly smiled again, and said, “hey!”

Jason smiled back at me again. Yeah, maybe if we were back home and he was as he is, I could have become a tree hugger. Heh. That sounds so hippy. But hey, Jason's a nice guy and he was hot. I'm a teen aged boy with hormones. So sue me. I just need to control this crush I'm developing, because I'll seriously miss him when I leave. That would suck big time. But first, time to eat some fruit salad.


©2013-2014 Lillian McKinnon. All Rights Reserved.



No comments:

Post a Comment